Road to El Nido, Palawan
Most of the people I know would like to go to El Nido but either they don’t know how or they think it’s expensive. Well, I have a good and bad news. The bad news is, direct flight via Seair is really expensive. Though, it may be subjective depending on how deep your pocket is. Assuming that most of my readers is just an ordinary “Juan” like me, the good news is, there are alternatives to travel cheap.
Ways to go to El Nido:
A. Direct flight to El Nido from Manila via Seair (GRRR EXPENSIVE!!! DAMN IT!!!)
B. Flight to Puerto Princesa and land transfer to El Nido by:
* Van – hired or seat reservations
* Bus – via San Jose Terminal (300 pesos)
C. Flight to Coron then ferry boat to El Nido
D. MV boat from Manila to El Nido (don’t have info on this. sorry)
For me, if you have time, I suggest that you take a flight from Manila to Busuanga (Coron Palawan), visit the Coron Islands, and you can finish it for a day or two. Then look for a ferry that will bring you to El Nido and vice versa, then ride a van going to Puerto Princesa right after. In this scenario, you will have the chance to accomplish traveling Palawan’s Trinity (Coron,El Nido,Puerto Princesa). But I understand that not all of us have the luxury of long vacation. On my case, I chose the path of flying from Manila to Puerto Princesa and rode a van to El Nido coz I already explore Coron last November. What I will share now is my adventure to El Nido from Puerto Princesa.
The Journey Begins…
We spent the night in Manny’s Guest House. At exactly 5:00 am, we woke up and prepare our things for a 7:00 am trip (usually the first trip going to El Nido). We have company on the van, Europeans, Dutch, and Koreans. They are nice people. Though one of them reacts on “Nazi” or “Swastika” sticker at the back of my bag. He mentioned that I would be in great trouble if I will wear that bag in Europe. Hahaha…
Travel time is approximately 6-8 hours. 80% of the road is well paved while the remaining 20% is still under construction or rough road. There are no gasoline stations or comfort rooms until Roxas (approximately 4 hours from Puerto Princesa) so I suggest that you don’t drink or eat too much, condition your stomach, so you will be comfortable during the trip. At Roxas, there is a Fort Wally Van stop-over canteen. You can have your lunch here.
Flat tire is a common issue. So don’t freak out if you experience flat tire during the trip. When we had one, blessing in disguise I guess, an opportunity for photography addicts (like me) to capture the road to El Nido.
After 6 hours of bumpy and dusty ride… El Nido at last…